Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust holds and processes personal information which individuals have given to us, to enable us to conserve objects with historical, scientific and artistic significance and display them to the public.
We also process and hold personal information, which individuals have given to us, to carry out fundraising, research; advertise and promote our business, manage and support our employees; maintain our accounts and records and the use of CCTV systems for crime prevention.
We hold information on
- people who loan or donate objects and items to us, we currently hold this information in perpetuity, however, this process is being reviewed
- People who book our facilities, we hold this for up to six months after the event, should we need to contact you regarding any incident relating to your event
- Young people who are engaged with our work and we hold this so we can get in touch with a parent or carer in case of emergency. We use this data in an anonymised form to report to funders
- People who book onto our sessions or events, these maybe school sessions, other educational group, parents and carers or individuals. We hold this so we can contact you regarding the event or session. We hold this for up to a year after you have booked should we need to contact you regarding your session. We may also contact you regarding other events and sessions we do but we will check with you that this is okay by you first!
- Volunteers and staff as we need to know who works for us and who is regularly on our sites. In the terrible event that an accident should happen, we will contact your nearest and dearest in case of an emergency and so we hold their contact details too. We hold this information for up to six months after you have left the organisation.
- We may also let volunteers know about other activities that they can get involved with at Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust and events that are happening but we will check with you that this is okay by you first.
- Members of Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust as to get the most form your membership we will need to tell you about what is going on across our sites and what you can access. We also promised that we would send you a newsletter and as part of your membership we will check that you really do want to receive this from us. We hold this for as long as you are one of our member.
- We also hold information from people who have said that its okay for us to take your photograph. We hold this so that we can ask your permission should we want to use it for publicity purposes.
- We also hold data on who follows us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, at present we don’t really do anything with this data other than like your pictures and those of you who follow our Facebook page will receive invites via Facebook to events.
- Sometimes people complain to us and sometimes they complement us, which is even better! We hold this data so we can respond to you and act on your enquiry.
What sort of information do we hold?
Depending on why we hold it we may hold personal information about:
- Someone’s personal details
- family details
- lifestyle and social circumstances
- education and employment details
- financial details
- goods or services
- visual images, personal appearance and behaviour
Some information we hold is sensitive and this would include:
- racial or ethnic origin
- religious or other beliefs
- trade union membership
- physical or mental health details
- criminal proceedings, sentences and outcomes
- offences and alleged offences
Who do we share data with?
We will never sell your data. We only share data where there is a requirement to do so and it is deemed necessary. We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themselves. Where it is necessary for us to do so we are required, and ensure, that we comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA). The following describes types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- family, associates and representatives of the person whose personal data we are
- current, past and prospective employers
- educators and examining bodies
- service providers
- financial organisations
- central government
- employment and recruitment agencies
- professional advisers and consultants
- business associates
- research organisations
- credit reference agencies
- debt collection and tracing agencies
- police forces and security organisations
How we hold your information
Your information is precious to us and we treasure it! We hold all of your information securely. We password protect databases, we don’t put your information onto memory sticks and we lock all paper copies away in filing cabinets.
How do we know what data we hold?
We have a full data audit and ensure that this is kept up to date and reviewed. We strive to ensure all of the information we hold is accurate and up to date. You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and to correct any inaccuracies in your information. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
What should you do if you think we have your data and you would like it deleted?
Please contact Rowan Woodhead, Office Services Assistant R.Woodhead@simt.co.uk