The Island and surrounding area is one of Sheffield’s eleven designated quarters.
A great deal of regeneration has taken place and many of the old factories and workshops are now cafes, artist studios, houses and apartments surrounded by award winning restaurants and the ‘valley of beer’ because of array of real ale pubs and micro-breweries.
The landscape of Kelham Island has changed dramatically, from what once was a dirty industrial area of the city, to a cleaner environment for a whole range of wildlife along the riverside.
There are a number of points of interest around the Museum and Island
1) Site of Millsands Furnace (1763), John Marshall’s Steelworks (1766), Naylor Hutchinson and Vickers River Don Works (1829-1865).
2) Memorial Stone – Sheffield Flood, 1864.
On 11 March 1864 the Dale Dyke Dam at Bradfield, near Sheffield, collapsed. The water devastated several areas and killed 240 people as it flooded through the city.
3) Street Sculpture
Embedded with grindstones the sculpture marks the location of The Union Wheel (1819-1940s) and the appalling working conditions of grinders in the 1800s.
4) Site of a Silk Mill (1758), Cotton Mill (1771), and Workhouse (1829)
5) Site of Kelham Wheel
6) Kelham Island and Kelham Island Museum
7) Site of Russell Works (1854)
Russell Works was a Crucible Furnace and home to Messers Wheatman and Smith, saw manufacturers from the mid 1850s. The building now houses The Hawley Gallery and Crucible Shop as part of Kelham Island Museum.
8) Site of Green Lane Works (1830s-1940s)
Cast iron fenders and stove grates were made here since 1795. From the 1830s Henry Hoole built up the firm and erected a gateway entrance in 1860 to commemorate being the Mayor of Sheffield.
9) Doncaster Street Furnace (1848)
This is the only complete Cementation Furnace left in Britain.
10) Site of Globe Works (1825)
The company housed here was begun by William Ibbotson and Roebuck. It was one of the first large-scale steel and cutlery works in Sheffield.
11) Kelham Weir
12) Cornish Place (1825)
Site of James Dixons & Sons, manufacturers of plated goods.
13) Neepsend Rolling Mill Furnace (1857)
Remains of a Crucible Furnace.
14) Site of Samuel Osborn & Co, Ltd (1870s)
Osborne’s was the first firm to specialise in new alloy steels. The remaining brick building on the site was built in 1919-1920.