Plan Your Visit
It’s great to be able to welcome you to Kelham Island Museum again.
Entry to Kelham Island Museum is now FREE for all visitors.
Closed Saturdays and Mondays
Kelham Island Museum will close at 4pm this Friday 24th September 2021.
Kelham Island Museum will be closed to the public on Tuesday 5th October 2021.
Open Mondays, 10am–5pm during Sheffield school holidays (from 25th October)
No need to book – please arrive early to avoid disappointment
Visiting with confidence
It’s really important to us that you’re able to visit your museums with confidence. We’re continuing to take steps to keep all our visitors and staff safe.
When you enter
- Face coverings are welcomed and encouraged in the museum to help keep everyone safe
- Please use the hand sanitiser station just inside the doors
- Make space for other visitors and staff and keep younger visitors with you during your visit
- Check-in to support the NHS Test & Trace programme
- If you are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19, please don’t visit the museum
We’re helping you visit safely by
- Limiting the number of visitors in the building
- Hand sanitiser available throughout the museum
- Enhanced cleaning throughout the day
- Keeping doors open wherever possible to avoid multiple touch points
- Screens on our shop counter
- The Melting Shop soft play area will remain closed for now
Free visitor parking is available at the end of the island, with accessible parking behind the Bessemer – you’ll see signs to direct you when you arrive.
The toilets and baby change at Kelham Island Museum will be open in a limited capacity to enable social distancing and enhanced cleaning will take place throughout the day.
River Don Engine
See the River Don Engine in steam at 12pm and 2pm when the museum is open.
We’re sorry the River Don Engine isn’t running at the moment while we carry out some maintenance work, but we’ll let you know as soon as it’s back in action.
Please note: the River Don Engine will not run on the following days, due to essential scheduled maintenance.
Thursday 16th September
Thursday 21st October
Thursday 18th November
Thursday 16th December
Island Café+Bar and The Millowners Arms
The onsite Island Café+Bar and The Millowners Arms traditional pub are both open daily and offer a range of food and drink. You can enjoy the large social-distanced beer garden with table service.
You can pre-book a table at The Millowners Arms via Facebook
If you’ve brought your own picnic, you are welcome to use the outdoor seating, subject to availability.
Making a Donation
The pandemic is having a huge impact on your museums and galleries and your help is needed now more than ever. With your support, Sheffield Museums can continue to provide great cultural experiences for everyone.
Please consider making a £4 donation when you arrive. You’ll find our quick and easy contactless donation station in the foyer. Alternatively, our cash donation boxes can be found throughout the museum.
Not visiting for a little while? Support your museums by making a donation today.
We are now taking bookings for schools and groups for the 2021-2022 academic year. If you would like to find out more or make a booking, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0114 201 0613.