Kelham Island itself is one of the oldest industrial sites in Sheffield. The island was first formed in the 1100s when the goit, or mill stream, was created alongside the lane leading to where the museum stands today. This stream was diverted to provide water to the Town Corn Mill, which was located near Lady's Bridge.
There are no further records of the site until the appearance of the town armourer in 1637. He owned a workshop and the second waterwheel on the island, and his name was Kellam Homer. By 1674, this second wheel was known as Kellam Wheel. The spelling of Kellam had been altered to Kelham by the early 1800s and the island had been given the same name.
The Hamlet is closed - reopens Sunday 6 April 2014 New admission charges apply
FREE | Open Weekends and Bank Holiday Mondays 10am - 4pm
Adults £5 | Conc £4 | Kids FREE Open Mon-Thurs 10am-4pm | Sun 11am-4.45pm (Closed Fri / Sat)