At Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust we are committed to providing an inclusive experience and provide opportunities for work experience at our sites for:
- Secondary Schools
- Universities and Colleges
- Work Placements
Contact our Learning team on 0114 201 0613 or firstname.lastname@example.org for school or Visitor Services on 0114 272 2106 for work placements.
Work Experience Weeks 2018
Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Abbeydale Road South, Sheffield, S7 2QW
Monday to Thursday 9th – 20th July 2018
This year our work experience is taking place at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet and will be different to previous years. The work experience will take place over two weeks and will have a focus on heritage interpretation in museums.
Wondering what “heritage interpretation” means?
“Interpretation helps people make sense of, and understand more about, a site, collection or event.” (Association for Heritage Interpretation)
So this is ideal for anyone who is interested in a career in museums, drama, writing, tour guiding, teaching etc.
You will have the opportunity to work with members of our skilled Learning team and undertake the following activities:
- Meet our “Interactors” and find out about how they use drama to help visitors understand our site.
- Put together your own character-based tour and try it out on real visitors to Abbeydale!
- Learn about how exhibitions are put together and have a go at writing your own labels for the objects around the site.
- Work in a team to design a craft activity for families that can be used in our “Make Your Own” holiday programme. You could even come back over the summer holidays to help us deliver the activity.
- The aim is that everyone who takes part in this week will also gain a Bronze Level Arts Award.
There are only 10 places available for Young People aged 14 – 19 (up to 25 with SEN) and you must apply by the deadline.
To apply please complete an application form and send to Rebecca Walton via email@example.com or post c/o Kelham Island Museum, Alma Street, Sheffield, S3 8RY.
Please note that you can use other media (film, sound etc.) to answer the three questions.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 25th May 2018
Some of the activities are subject to funding and may change, we will confirm the full programme to successful applicants in June.