Work Experience Weeks at Abbeydale
Posted on by Website Administrator
Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Abbeydale Road South, Sheffield, S7 2QW
Monday to Thursday 1st – 11th July 2019
This year our work experience is taking place at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet. The work experience will take place over two weeks and will have a focus on heritage interpretation in museums.
Wondering what “heritage interpretation” means?
“Interpretation helps people make sense of, and understand more about, a site, collection or event.”
(Association for Heritage Interpretation)
So this is ideal for anyone who is interested in a career in museums, drama, writing, tour guiding, teaching etc.
You will have the opportunity to work with members of our skilled Learning team here are some examples of the activities:
- Meet our “Interactors” and find out about how they use drama to help visitors understand our site.
- Put together your own character-based tour and try it out on real visitors to Abbeydale!
- Learn about how exhibitions are put together and have a go at writing your own labels for the objects around the site.
- Work in a team to design a craft activity for families that can be used in our “Make Your Own” holiday programme. You could even come back over the summer holidays to help us deliver the activity.
- Work together to put on a celebration event on the last day.
- The aim is that everyone who takes part in this week will also gain a Bronze Level Arts Award.
One young person who took part last year described it as “the best two weeks I have ever had!”
There are only 10 places available for Young People aged 14 – 19 (up to 25 with SEN) and you must apply by the deadline.
To apply, please see Work Experience for full details!