Volunteering at Sheffield Industrial Museums
Posted on by Website Administrator
Volunteering at Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust?
We’re proud to involve volunteers at SIMT as we couldn’t do what we do without them! We are currently recruiting volunteers.
We already have existing volunteer groups at both Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet and Kelham Island Museum. At Abbeydale we currently have visitor services volunteers – who assist with the front of house, a gardening group and Haberdashers who have contributed to the restoration of the manager’s house garden, the material coverings and displays in the heritage buildings.
The volunteers at Kelham Island Museum however are a more recent team. They often work in galleries, front of house – greeting visitors and assisted with our recent Disabled Access Day and with the launch of our new Sheffield 1916 project.
We often get great reviews from customers about how kind and helpful the volunteers are at offering information and keeping customers company whilst on their visit.
If you are interested in volunteering we can tell you more:
- What volunteering for SIMT will look like
- Introductions – who we are and what we’d like to get involved in
- The 5 roles that are available:
- Working with children / learning
- Front of house / welcoming visitors
- Community history volunteers – Supporting with the collection of oral histories
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) Ambassadors
- Event volunteers
- SIMT as an organisation, what we do and how we support our volunteers
- What happens next? A discussion around how you can become involved as a volunteer with us