'To create an accessible and inclusive experience, which is a tribute to past achievement, a showcase for Sheffield industry and innovation and an inspiration for future generations to continue the tradition of technological progress'
To achieve this we explore the themes and ideas laid out below through our work in collections and research, education and learning, and events and exhibitions.
- Ideas and Movements / Scientific Ideas / Social & Political Ideas
- Science and Discovery / Interactive Science / Steel & Materials / Forces / Power / Environment & Living Things / Earth & Beyond
- People's History / Sheffield Life & Growth / Who Lives in Sheffield / Working Lives / Social Change
- Engineering & Manufacturing / Structures / Machines / Tools / Measuring
- Industrial History / Working Conditions / Organisation of Work / independent workshops / Large firms / Economic Change
- Geography: Location of Industry / Changing Land Use / Regeneration / Rivers Technology, Design & Creativity
- Cutlery: Tools / Silverware / Machine Components / Craftspeople / Computer-aided Design
- To tell the story of Sheffield from its beginning to the present day
- A positive and accessible approach to learning informs all the Trust's relationships with its audiences
- To tell the ongoing story of how industrial development changes peoples' lives
- To develop and manage the collections, machinery and historic buildings
- To offer visitors an enjoyable experience by stimulating and engaging their imagination
- To increase people's enjoyment of their visit by providing a wide range of facilities and by positive customer care
- To attain the highest possible recognised quality standards in all areas of operation and delivery