Tilt Forge

Tilt Forge

The Tilt Forge was built in 1785 and houses two massive tilt hammers inside.

The hammers were driven by the site's main waterwheel, and the forgemaster and hammer man sat before them, making crown scythes. This was done by forge-welding a piece of crucible steel between two pieces of wrought iron, like a sandwich.

After plating, the scythe went to the hand forgers for finishing in one of the small forges in the courtyard.