It was in the Grinding Hull that edge tools were sharpened to a fine cutting edge.
The Hull was built in 1817, and originally housed 6 grindstones and 2 glazing stones, all powered by a waterwheel. The stones were 6 feet in diameter when new, and hung in a trough filled with water to keep the stone wet when grinding. The grinder sat astride a wooden horsing over the stone, and held the blade against the stone as it spun round.
Grinding was a very dangerous occupation and at least one fatal accident is known to have occurred at the hamlet in 1912 when a grindstone 'burst' killing the grinder.
Most grinders suffered from silicosis or 'grinders disease' through inhaling the stone dust and so life expectancy was very low in this trade.